11/1/13

Twinkle, Twinkle

On the night before Halloween, my family headed to a fall festival downtown.  As we strolled down the sidewalk, we spotted the first Christmas lights of the season twinkling in front of a neighborhood business. 

I rolled my eyes, dismayed that consumer madness was inching into October.

My two year old hasn't had a chance to become similarly jaded.  He smiled, pointed at the lights and innocently asked, "Is it Christmas in there, Mommy?"

His simple question went straight to my heart.

In recent years, I have begun to dislike the holidays.  My job is busy; my life is busy; my capacity for extra to-do items is low.  The lights, the decor, the presents:  all of these things seem to be more about keeping up with my Facebook friends than anything holy or pure or good.  It all just makes me tired.

And then I hear this question from my two year old, who knows nothing about Pottery Barn Christmas versus K-Mart Christmas.  He just sees lights and knows they indicate that Christmas is going on inside.

His comments reminded me that it isn't bad to celebrate.  It isn't bad to give gifts.  It isn't bad to put out lights.  It's only when those things become disconnected to what is going on inside that they become burdensome and heavy.

I made up my mind to check my focus this holiday season.  It is a time of joy.  It is a time to celebrate giving.  It is a time to celebrate love.  And it is okay to share that message with the world. 


No comments:

Post a Comment